To the CEOs of Facebook, Instagram, Google, Twitter, TikTok, Pinterest and Reddit:
Implement climate misinformation and disinformation policies and enforcement that extend to content, algorithms and advertising, similar to the robust COVID 19 policies that have been published over the last 18 months (these policies should also be based on the definition above):
- Accept the universal definition of climate mis/disinformation.
- Produce and publicise a 100%-transparent company plan to eliminate the spread of climate disinformation on your platform. This plan should consider:
- Community standards that do not permit deceptive statements on climate science or policy.
- A 100%-transparent fact-checking process that includes how climate disinformation is categorised and handled by independent fact-checkers and how it is protected from politicisation by company staff.
- Add an interstitial to disrupt potential climate mis/disinformation, and ensure human checking on all posts flagged in this way.
- Advertise your zero tolerance approach directly to users.
- Do not publish adverts if they contain climate mis/disinformation based on the universal definition, or allow content which contravenes the definition to be monetised .
- Share your internal research on how climate mis/disinformation spreads on your platform with researchers and journalists so we can work together to tackle this global, multi-faceted issue.
COP27 is a perfect moment to start momentum for decision-makers to acknowledge the climate misinformation threat and, through global cooperation, to step up against it.
To sign this letter, please fill out the form: